Thursday, December 11, 2008

Changing Impressions...

.
When I first came to Japan, I experienced quite the culture shock. To me, this country seemed like a world within a world--unlike anything I've ever known. How Japanese people act and how they treat each other (and foreigners) took a lot of getting used to. For example, as a straight forward person, I had to learn how to express myself with the fewest words possible. Since the Japanese have this extraordinary ability to "speak without words". I now realize the importance of my blood-type (from a Japanese perspective) and further know the meaning of being cute. However, for the purpose of this blog, I have encountered many more things in Japanese culture and I will continue to discover more. Maybe Nihonjinron will prevent me from fully understanding it. So that my only explanation will be just "because".


Can you really explain what you see in this picture with more words than because? Or can it be explained that the Hitler sponge on the right and his accomplice are going to tackle tough grease and grime?!
My lack of explaination denotes that in Japan I will always be an outsider...

I guess as I am trying to reflect on my first impressions of Japan to see how they have developed and changed, through what I learned about politics, art, sports, religion and such... I conclude in saying that it's not that my impressions of Japan have, in fact, changed, but that I've learned to accept it, at face value for what it is. And I believe that I do not have to become Japanese in order to appreciate Japan and what it has to offer.


Because everyone needs a mini iron....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katy, what happened? Where are you? Where are your new posts?

Anonymous said...

Hi Katy. Perhaps, it's time to add another blog entry! Hope you're having fun there. Dr. MK